I don’t know how many times we have been asked for this recipe.
So, here it is – our fabled quinoa cake.
This delicious and nutritious cake comes from one of the Thermomix’s recipes,
but I made few adjustments to make it healthier and dairy free.
We use the termomix to make this cake, but you can easily make it in a food processor.
For the cake:
- 120g coconut oil
- 170g quinoa (red or mixed or white will be just fine too)
- 520ml water
- 4 eggs
- 80g oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g coconut sugar
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1.5tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the frosting:
- 120g thick coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 60g peanut butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 120g coconut sugar
To make the cake:
- Grease a 22cm cake tin with coconut oil
- Set the oven to 180 Degrees Celsius
- Put the quinoa in boiling water and boil for 15, until fluffy and soft
- Strain the quinoa and set aside
- Soften the coconut oil
- In a food processor, add all the wet ingredients and mix together. Then add all the other ingredients except the quinoa and mix well
- Add the strained quinoa and mix a bit more until combined and smooth
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 40 – 45 minutes
- The cake is ready when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Set aside to cool and make the frosting
To make the frosting:
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Using a spatula or a spoon, spread the frosting on the top and sides of the cake and enjoy!